Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A funny thing happend on the way to Bangkok...

So...

Yesterday we went up north to play at a college, a "master class" with music students. The auditorium was packed when we got there - 200 music students and their teachers sitting quietly and staring. We were getting out our stuff and I opened my guitar case and looked in. I saw a string askew, brushed to one side. Thinking I had a broken string, I picked it up and said as much before I noticed the something out of place on the headstock. Tucker looked over and said, "Oh my god!" To my surprise and horror, I found that the neck of my Gibson J-45 was broken. A big major break, almost in half! What happened I will never know, but there I was about to play a show and no way to do so. The students just looked at me, nobody knowing what to do. It was so weird. Finally, one of the teachers, a young man with long hair, ran to get an Ovation he had in his office and he loaned it to me for the show.

We flew back to Bangkok last night and I spent the next several hours screaming around the city trying to find something to borrow or rent. We went to a music store here called Yellow Mama. The owner loaned me his personal Marton OM-28. It's a stellar guitar and he was ever so nice and really pulled me out of a jam.

Tonight we play a "house concert" for the US Ambassador to Thiland and about 200 guests. Then one more show on Thai TV tomorrow and then....HOME! I'm really, really ready to get back.

I'll try to post something tonight or tomorrow morning.

Onward!

No comments: