Thursday, January 3, 2008

Some Bad News

Yesterday, I received this email from Bangkok: "Thailand's King's sister HRH Princess Galyani Wattana passed away on January 2 and the Thai government announced that there will be an official mourning period of 15 days - to last thru Jan 16. This effectively means that all government institutions including the State Department's partner universities are not to engage in any celebratory events like public performances or concerts during the mourning period."

What this means for us is that many of our shows, including the Rhythm of the Earth Festival on the 18th have been canceled. The Festival will be postponed until March and we are hoping to come back for it somehow. We're still going to Thailand and will be playing quite a bit, but all public shows have been canceled. They are going to schedule several private workshop/performances at music conservatories. This is sad news all around and we are very disappointed, but I'm sure we will still have a lot of fun and play a lot of music. I'll post a new schedule on my website just as soon as I know...

1 comment:

Ben said...

Hey Bob,

Sparky forwarded your blog address and I'm really enjoying it..Sounds like a great trip!

I'm just back from an awesome stint in "bittersweet" Burma, and now the man in black here in Bangkok, co- miserating for the King's sis with a big ol' steamin' plate of pud thai in front of me.... Burmese food- not so good..

If you want, you can reach me at spirithousesafari@gmail or BKK mobile phone 08-1485-9763, or get a load of my blog that I'm using to flesh out a book that I'm writing on the spirit houses of Southeast Asia at spirithousesafari.blogspot.com.

I will be headed home in the early morning on the 20th. Let me hear from you so maybe we can visit, otherwise, I'll see you boys back home at Julio's - "The Do-gooder Cafe'"

Best wishes from the other Livingston,
Ben